Engaging kids during the critical hours after school
The A+ After-School Program is a partnership with the Hawaii State Department of Education (DOE) to provide care after the school day.
Online registration for the A+ Program for School Year 2023-2024 is now open.
- Please see your A+ site coordinator if you need a hard copy registration form.
- Learn more about the registration process by downloading the A+ Registration Instructions & FAQ.
- Register online. The Online Registration Guide provides details if you need help with online registration. If you opt to register in person or via mail, you might experience delays in processing.
- If necessary for your child's registration, submit confidential or personal documents on our secure site.
- If it pertains to your situation, please complete these forms:
- Start collecting any required information now to prevent delays in the submission of your child(ren)'s registration. Students will be accepted into the program in the order that completed registration forms (online or hard copied) are received by the YMCA of Honolulu. Once the registration process is completed, you will be notified of your child’s start date via a confirmation email.
All “latchkey” children enrolled in public elementary schools in K-6, are eligible to participate if they are living with parent(s), guardian(s)*, or foster parent(s)/guardian(s)** who is/are:
- Employed during the hours of A+ operations;
- Working in the A+ Program;
- Attending colleges, universities, or other types of schools during the hours of A+ operations - class schedule including day/time is required; or
- Engaged in job training programs during the hours of A+ operations.
*If either biological parent is NOT authorized to pick up, explanation and custody documents are required to be submitted each school year.
**Foster documents are required to be submitted each school year.
Self-employed parents and independent contractors can usually make their own schedules and need to verify their working status.
- If you do NOT receive a W-2 at the end of the calendar year from your employer, or you receive a 1099 form from the company you work with, additional documents will be required.
- Please submit a copy of your GE tax license AND a copy of either
- income tax return including your Schedule C or
- printed business checking account
The monthly fee for the school year is $200. For the 2023-2024 school year, the DOE will use federal funds to help offset $80/month per student in A+ fees, bringing the monthly cost down to $120 for all families who do not qualify for the Department of Human Services (DHS) income-based subsidy.
DHS has adjusted the eligibility schedule, increasing the maximum income eligibility levels. Families who previously exceeded the income eligibility may now possibly qualify for this subsidy. The subsidy will cover the full monthly program fee. All families are encouraged to first apply for the DHS subsidy.
Applications MUST be submitted each school year along with your 2023-2024 A+ Registration.
- Proof of income is required. If submitting pay stubs, one full consecutive month of most current pay stubs for all parents/guardians living in the household. Household members consist of parents/guardians and all dependent children. Please be sure to include income from all sources including; salary, child support, alimony, etc.
- If the A+ child(ren) reside(s) in more than one household, please use the household income and members in which the child resides in the majority of time during the school week (Monday through Friday).
- Use the eligibility estimation calculator to get a preview your potential eligibility.
- Complete the Tuition Subsidy Application.
- The deadline is the 10th of each month, for the subsidy to be applied to and start the following month and continue for the rest of the school year.
- Submit required supporting documentation (listed on page 2 of the Application) by uploading to our secure site.
Monthly fees are due on the first program day of each month. Your first month’s program fee will be due on the first A+ program day. The fee is set by the DOE and may be subject to change if your child’s school implements a blended school schedule.
Registrations are processed in the order they are received. Once we have completed processing your registration(s), you will receive an email notification on the status of your child’s/children’s enrollment.
You can also log into your A+ online account to check on your enrollment status and also to set up your auto-payments. When you log into your A+ online account you will see either:
- Enrolled (site), or
- Waitlisted* (site), or
- If there is no status update, it means that your registration is still being processed and there may be missing information needed. Please re-check your email (both your inbox and "SPAM" folders) to be sure that you did not miss an email from [email protected] that requested additional information or documents that were missing from your registration. You need to submit the requested information as soon as possible in order for us to complete your registration process; OR if you had re-submitted requested information or documents, you may have received another email requesting an additional update. Please be sure to provide requested updates as soon as possible.
*Waitlist: Some A+ school sites have reached capacity due to staffing challenges, capacity limits, or may not have reached the minimum enrollment requirement. Please know that we are working on resolving these limitations with promotions to hire more staff (including offering a $250 Y Credit referral bonus), working with schools to expand capacity, and for those sites that have not met the minimum enrollment, we will be promoting registration at those impacted school sites.
As of August 31, 2023
Sites at Open for Registrations
Due to the site capacity at some locations, registrants may be placed on a wait list.
- Ahuimanu Elementary
- Aina Haina Elementary
- Aliamanu Elementary
- Aliiolani Elementary
- Alvah Scott Elementary
- August Ahrens Elementary
- Barbers Point Elementary
- Daniel K Inouye (Hale Kula) Elementary
- Ewa Beach Elementary
- Ewa Elementary
- Helemano Elementary
- Holomua Elementary
- Honowai Elementary
- Hookele Elementary
- Iroquois Elementary
- Kaelepulu Elementary
- Kalihi Waena Elementary
- Kailua Elementary
- Kaohao (Lanikai) Elementary
- Kapalama Elementary
- Kapolei Elementary
- Kapunahala Elementary
- Kauluwela Elementary
- Kipapa Elementary
- Kuhio Elementary
- Lanakila Elementary
- Leihoku Elementary
- Lincoln Elementary
- Maemae Elementary
- Makakilo Elementary
- Malama Honua Elementary
- Manana Elementary
- Mauka Lani Elementary
- Maunawili Elementary
- Mililani Ike Elementary
- Mililani Mauka Elementary
- Mililani Uka Elementary
- Mililani Waena Elementary
- Moanalua Elementary
- Nuuanu Elementary
- Palisades Elementary
- Pauoa Elementary
- Pearl City Highlands Elementary
- Pohakea Elementary
- Puohala Elementary
- Puuhale Elementary
- Red Hill Elementary
- Royal Elementary
- Solomon Elementary
- Wahiawa Elementary
- Waialua Elementary
- Waiau Elementary
- Waikele Elementary
- Waipahu Elementary
- Wilson Elementary
The following sites are closed due to minimum enrollment numbers not being met.
- Fort Shafter Elementary
- Kaewai Elementary
- Lehua Elementary
- Likelike Elementary
- Waimanalo Elementary